When an influential man tells the world that a woman in public life has
- He immediately defines her in relation to heterosexual males
- HE is saying that HE – the hero – finds her SEXY
- In an equal world HE WOULDN’T SAY IT
- Or she would have the right of reply
- But if SHE SAID SHE FOUND HIM MOST UNATTRACTIVE
- That HIS COMMENTS WERE OFFENISVE
- That they instantly devalued her credibility and authority and effectiveness –
- In contrast to his power as a man
- SHE WOULD BE THE ONE TO BE CRITICISED – AND FURTHER UNDERMINED
Damned of you do and doomed if you don’t!
We don’t have a word to name such behaviour. It isn’t exuberance it’s a male powerploy and a fair indication that the man who publicly proclaims a woman political candidate has sex appeal – is one who simply doesn’t get it! It’s just how he sees women! And it isn’t as equal.